The US magazine News & World Report released its list of the best diets to start 2019. Here you can find a total of 41 different diets, from the Mediterranean Diet, the special Dash Diet for those suffering from hypertension, to diets based on the massive consumption of fruits and vegetables indicated for certain affectations of the organism.
In addition, new types of diets also appear on the market, such as the Pegana Diet, which is a mixture of the Paleo Diet (use of protein-rich foods) with the Diet. Vegan (no food of animal origin is consumed); or the Dubrow Diet, which is based on an intermittent fasting plan, which can range from 12 to 16 hours, consuming products such as green vegetables, fish, chicken or healthy fats (butter or avocado) at times that you can eat .
“There is a great variety of diets for all tastes and affections, but the truth is not miraculous,” says Elías Stambulie, a specialist in alternative medicine, who points out that ” Ideally, you can eliminate some products from your diet that will help you have better health and also lose weight. It is important that you be responsible and constant. If you make some changes to your diet you will see results right away “
What are those foods that we should be careful with and avoid overeating? Dr. Stambulie gives us the keys.
1. Do not abuse carbohydrates: This type of Food is essential for the body to function properly, but if you eat a portion greater than what your body needs, it will be transformed into body fat and therefore you will gain weight. The average amount that a person should consume per day is between 225 and 325 grams, “this way you can lose weight, on the contrary if you ingest a much higher amount will be very difficult” emphasizes the specialist.
For example, normally at lunchtime we find that in the same menu there is rice, potato, banana, some grain such as beans, lentils, chickpeas or peas and even cassava, that is, many carbohydrates . You should then choose only one of them or at most two in a moderate amount to avoid overeating this type of food. You should keep in mind that other foods that you also eat throughout the day such as bread, fruit, juice, milk, yogurt or corn also have carbohydrates and as mentioned above the amount of consumption indicated, if the intention is to lose weight, should not exceed 325 grams.
2. Be careful with the consumption of added sugars: Try Do not put so much sugar in the coffee or replace it with organic honey. Think that products such as energy drinks, sauces or jams have a large amount of added sugar, do not abuse it.
3. Less saturated fat: By controlling the foods that contain more saturated fats you can replace them with others and get lose weight. Therefore, if you choose a type of meat, hopefully it is not red, because these are the most easily accumulated in our body and a high consumption of it can cause that in addition to gain weight increase cardiovascular risk. To lose weight, it is best to replace them with fish or chicken, including legumes or quinoa. And nothing to eat fried or breaded, better grilled or baked.
4. And what about processed foods and fast food ?: The best thing is always to eat fresh products because in processed foods such as: cereals, potato packets, concentrated broth, soft drinks, sausages, energy bars, sweets, among many others, added sugars and saturated fats predominate, “Everything that our body does not need” emphasizes Dr. Elías Stambulie. A trick is that when it comes to market, check the label of the products that will be carried; In the list of ingredients, the one that is in the first place is the one that contributes more to that product. With this small revision you can avoid sugars, fats and extra calories.
The same goes for fast food such as hamburgers, pizzas, cobs … they are calories that we do not need. You can give yourself a treat from time to time but that does not become a routine.
5. Other recommendations: Drink plenty of water, take a good breakfast, respect the schedules of meals without chopping between meals, cooking with olive or coconut oil, control food portions, exercise or chewing slowly can also help achieve our goal of losing weight and create better habits of food.
“The best thing is not to diet, but to eat healthy,” concludes this medical specialist in alternative medicine.